We were on our way to the music store and I was in a hurry. The store closed at 5 and it was already after 4:30. The older kids were eager to go to the library, but with a recital coming up in two weeks, I had to get my youngest son a new reed and mouthpiece for his instrument. As we passed the stop sign at the edge of our corner, I saw the most unusual thing. A group of kids, about 15 middle school aged kids, none of which I recognized, gathered in the street. I could have backed up and went the other direction, but I didn't.
As we slowly drove past the children, I noticed one of them had blood dripping from his mouth. Clearly, there had been a fight. There were two cars in the opposing lane that drove slowly past me maneuvering carefully between the kids on either side of the street. I quickly followed. When I approached the stop sign I turned right to proceed to the music store. Yet, when I turned my head to the right while watching for oncoming traffic, I saw my child and my heart burst and tears slowly began to fall down my cheek. Instead of proceeding as if nothing happened, I turned left and drove towards the local police department. As I pulled into the parking lot, two police cars sped in the direction from which I came. I knew where they were headed.
I quickly turned my car around and drove back to the street where the kids were gathered. I saw the police officers speaking with the children and then the tears began to flow again. I tried my best to keep my tears from my children, but my youngest looked up at me and asked "Mommy, are you crying?" I couldn't hide it. I felt sadness. I felt disappointment. I felt anger. I felt fear. I was afraid for my children. Who were these kids and why were they here...in my neighborhood? Why did fear grip me to the point where I didn't stop my car right there in the middle of the street and do something? I should have done something? Where was the fearless woman my children believe me to be? That PTA mommy who stands up for all children? You know that school mom called on to serve on the school district's No Bullying policy committee? That's me. So I thought until today. What just happened? I should have done something, shouldn't I?
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment