Friday, June 15, 2012

Better Than Alright by @Ledisi Book Review



When I heard Ledisi was penning a book I immediately put this on my MUST READ radar.  She is a very talented songstress and I have been a fan for nearly a decade.  My sole regret is never seeing this raw talent in her early days performing at venues in the San Francisco and the East Bay.



"Over the past four decades ESSENCE introduced our readers to inspirational voices such as Susan L. Taylor (In theSpiritLessons in LivingAll About Love); and New York Times Best-Sellers Iyanla Vanzant ("In the Meantime," and "One Day My Soul Just Opened Up"), Juanita Bynum ("Matters of the Heart"), and Bishop T.D. Jakes ("Before You Do" and "Reposition Yourself"). Now, ESSENCE is pleased to share an incredible new uplifting and empowering voice with its 7.5 million readers and book lovers everywhere. In the tradition of Iyanla Vanzant's blockbuster 1993 book Acts of Faith: Daily Meditations for People of Color, ESSENCE is pleased to collaborate with powerhouse musician Ledisi for a soulful and enlightening collection of the singer's inspiring meditations, quotes, and anecdotes charting her astonishing transformation as a woman and an artist.
Ledisi, who has been described as having a mix of Tina Turner's energy, Nina Simone's brilliance, and Ella Fitzgerald's range, is a multiple Grammy nominee who has quickly connected with ESSENCE readers because of her authenticity and tenacity to strive for success on her own terms."

My Thoughts:   Faith. Beauty. Forgiveness.  Authentic.  Words yes, but these are some of the chapter titles in Ledisi's book Better Than Alright.  The book is riddled with stories, quotes, photos, and insights with a sprinkling of poetry.  Ledisi's writing prowess shines in this book and I absolutely inhaled the book in one sitting.  The book was interactive in that spots were left blank allowing readers to connect with topics presented.  Ledisi writes the joy of discovering oneself amidst the watchful eyes of others.  Her poems reminded me of the works of noted poets Gwendolyn Brooks and Langston Hughes.  I was able to feel her pain, her strength and was captivated by her pen as much as her music.  She is truly a dynamic lyricist and many thanks for gifting us with her talents.  

Truly an inspirational read for such a time as this.



Buy It:  Ledisi's Better Than Alright is available at bookstores nationwide beginning June 5 or you may click the Amazon logo below to purchase your copy of Ledisi's Better Than Alright











Disclosure:  From time to time publishers provide me with complimentary or advanced reading copies of books for review.  However, I received no compensation nor was I provided with a copy, complimentary or advanced reading, of this book.  The opinions expressed above are mine.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment