Friday, June 29, 2012

BuyGreen.com Helps Do Gooders Do Better



Last month, I wrote to BuyGreen.com asking to review their composting worms.  Yes, worms.  The kiddos were working on an Earth Day project and started a compost bin and thus began my lesson in worm composting.  Worms, dirt, hey it's Science and makes for a wonderful Summer project for the kids.


I will confess I was not looking forward to opening the box when it arrived.  I imagined a ton of slimy, wriggling worms just waiting to escape so thank goodness I have three brave boys.  Yeah right.  They were fine until the box opened and the worms seemed to spring forth.  LOL!  It was quite a sight.  I'm no expert on worms but considering they traveled from Wisconsin via UPS I imagine they were pretty warm cooped inside the box, but they arrived alive.  


We assembled our worm compost bin using an old Rubbermaid bin filled with shredded newspaper, dirt, coffee grounds, fruit and veggie scraps.  When the worms arrived, I just dumped them GENTLY into the bin and put 'em to work.  I didn't think I'd have to worry much about the worms given the warm reception they got when they first arrived, but to my surprise each day was met with tons of questions "Mommy, can we check on the worms?" and whenever we had visitors, "Mommy, can I show so-and-so the worms?"  It was tough explaining to Los Tres Amigos worms aren't really fans of bright light and warm, sunny days.  After a few days they stopped asking and seemed to have more fun dropping scraps into the compost bin and taking turns moving the newspaper around in the compost bin.

Looking for a great Summer learning activity?  Consider worm composting.  It's easy and the compost will make your garden the envy of all your neighbors.  There are ton of websites to help you build a compost bin of your very own, but be sure to use the best quality worms you can find.  BuyGreen.com Red Worms are ideal for vermi-composting (worm composting).  The waste from Red Worms is considered to be a better fertilizer than plain, old composting.


It's taken a while to write this post, but that's only because our crew of Red Worms needs a little time to do their work.  Worm composting is an economical way to cut down on waste.  No more worrying about what to send down the garbage disposal and we've noticed way less flies around the garbage can since we started composting.  Plus the castings have really made a noticeable difference in my garden as of late.  I am, well we are, still learning how to keep our worms healthy during this wicked Summer heat, but this has proved to be quite the Science project.

My kids share with their friends why red worms work better than other worms when it comes to composting and this mommy loves that.  Learning doesn't stop when Summer break begins.


BuyGreen.com has a ton of eco friendly products including clothing, purses, accessories, laundry, personal care and all things gardening!  


Buy It:  BuyGreen.com Red Worms VermiCompost come in a variety of sizes from 1 lb. all the way up to 25 lbs.  Now that's a lotta composting.  Their friendly order department is knowledgeable of their products and can help even the most novice Do Gooder do better.






Disclosure:  Many thanks to BuyGreen.com for the opportunity to review this product and for their patience as our little friends did the dirty work over the course of the past two months. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment